Local government elections will be held throughout Iceland on Saturday, 31 May 2014. Absentee voting begins on Saturday, 5 April, and the deadline for submitting lists of candidates to the election committees in each municipality (local government area) is 12 noon on Saturday, 10 May.
The right to vote
Under the Local Government Elections Act, all persons in the following categories who were born on or before 31 May 1996 have the right to vote in the local government elections on 31 May 2014:
- Icelandic citizens who are registered as legally domiciled in a particular municipality (local government area) in the Icelandic National Register on 10 May 2014.
- Icelandic citizens who have transferred their place of legal domicile to one of the other Nordic countries while pursuing formal studies under the Nordic Agreement on Public Registration, and are still registered there on 10 May 2014.
- Danish, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish citizens who have been legally domiciled in Iceland for three continuous years as from 31 May 2011 and are registered as legally domiciled in a particular municipality on 10 May 2014.
- Other foreign nationals who have been legally domiciled in Iceland for five continuous years as from 31 May 2009 and are registered as legally domiciled in a particular municipality on 10 May 2014.
Right of candidature
All persons who have the right to vote in local government elections may stand for election to their local council providing they have not been deprived of their legal competence.
- Absentee voting begins.
- A video-film containing instructions in English on absentee voting can be accessed here.
- Closing date for compiling voters' rolls.
- 12.00 noon: deadline for announcing candidates in the elections.
- Deadline for publishing the electoral register; publication shall be announced in advance.
- Election day.